Pages

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Random Netflix Review: Dark Secrets.


The opening to Dark Secrets

I often find my mind wandering when I play MMOs. (Massively Multiplayer Online) It eventually gets to the point that I can't grind anymore and need a break. I can often bypass this limitation and play for a much longer time by also watching something on Netflix on my Wii U gamepad. Mostly I try to watch shows that I wouldn't watch otherwise but still look interesting to me. Usually I watch Deadly Women but had to stop after I started comparing the killers in the program to my own mother. I decided to spread out a bit and started watching documentaries. This eventually lead me to UFO documentary which then led me to a new show just added to Netflix, Dark Secrets.

The series is presented like a crime reenactment series, however all of the "stories" are from a recently found stash of documents, pictures and documentaries put together by a mysterious investigator simply known as "The Teller." Each episode focuses on a different case that The Teller had investigated. These range from a Frankenstein style bio weapon invented by scientists during the Vietnam war to a house that hungers for flesh. Obviously these stories are all fictional. 

But at the same time, I found myself charmed by the show. The voice of the Teller narrates the entire series and you often find yourself guessing as to what is really going on. Some of the stories are incredibly well thought out, you can tell the writers are having a tone of fun. In many ways, they remind me of the best Creepy Pasta. 

Just like all crime reenactments though, the acting is TERRIBLE. I've always thought of this as a part of the fun that is this genre but many other Netflix viewers disagree. The user reviews are all over the place, many people saying the acting is what turned them off to it. If you don't mind some crappy acting and enjoy a creative, creepy story, give it a shot. It's only 8 episodes long.

One thing I do want to also add, I had a lot of trouble finding any info about this show. The only info that seems to be posted about it is on the 3net website, the studio that made the show, and the history channel website. They did have an email address to contact in case you have any questions. I'll update this post if I get a response back.

As always, please comment and share if you enjoyed and if you see any spelling errors, feel free to let me know. I try to correct my spelling but I'm kind of terrible at it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment